Bahasa Melayu |
Text size :
Information Department, formerly known as Brunei Information Service, was established on 1 April 1952. Brunei Information Service accredited officially in 1953 although basically the activities had started operating since 1 April 1952.
In 1983, the Information Division upgraded to Information Department. It was later incorporated into the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports on 1 January 1984, Brunei Darussalam shortly after independence.
In 1985, Information Department and Radio Television Brunei once again combined and known as Department of Broadcasting and Information on 1 December 1985.
Then on 20 October 1986, Information Department and Radio Television Brunei is placed under the Prime Minister’s Office.
However, on 1 March 1991, Information Department and Radio Television Brunei has been separated into two departments in which the Information Department are known today under the Prime Minister’s Office.
Department of Information Building
1st April 1952
Department was established and known as Brunei Information Service.
The Information Branch in the
Belait District and the Information Reading Room were established.
The 1st issue of Pelita Brunei, the
official newspaper was published fortnightly in Cyclostyle form.
Pengiran Mohammad Yusuf bin
Pengiran Hj Abdul Rahim (now known as Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Setia Negara
Pengiran (Dr.) Haji Mohd Yusof bin Pengiran Haji Abdul Rahim) was elected as
the first Information Officer of the country.
Information Reading Room was
established in Pekan Bangar, Temburong District and in Tutong District the
With the establishment of Radio Brunei
Service in 1957, Information Service gave the public subsidy to purchase
radios by monthly installments for one year. In 1958, Information Service
sold 1,048 sets of radio throughout the state.
Pelita Brunei, after going through
several changes, started the use of printing machine for the first time.
1 January 1962
Brunei Information Service and
Radio Brunei Service were merged and later known as Broadcasting and
1 January 1975
The Broadcasting and Information
Department were separated into two entities in June 1975, whereby Information
was designated as Information Division and was put under the jurisdiction of
the State Secretariat Office.
The status of the Information Division
was later upgraded and it became Information Department.
Information Department was under
the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports.
'Brunei Darussalam Newsletter' -
an English publication was first introduced.
December 1, 1985 - Information
Department and Radio Televisyen Brunei were merged and later known as
Broadcasting and Information Department, Ministry of Culture, Youth and
20 October 1986
The Broadcasting and Information Department
came under the wing of the Prime Minister's Office.
1 March 1991
The Broadcasting and Information
Department was separated into two departments and Information became
Information Department under the Prime Minister's Office.
Pelita Brunei online was
introduced and updated weekly
1 April 2002
Information Department celebrated
its "Golden Jubilee", 1952 - 2002.
Senior Minister at the Prime
Minister's Office, Brunei Darussalam consented for a work attachment at the Information
Department on August 27, 2005.
Pelita Brunei, the official
government newspaper, celebrated its Golden Jubilee.
19 July 2008
Pelita Brunei is now available
twice a week while its online version, Pelita Brunei Online is available and
updated daily at www.pelitabrunei.gov.bn
18 July 2010
Pelita Brunei is available three times a week with the introduction of
Monday edition of Pelita Brunei.
21 March 2012
Information Department received a site for a new complex of the
1 April 2012
Information Department celebrates
its 60th Anniversary, 1952-2012
Department of Information extension
16 August 2016
Department of Information introduce
E-paper Pelita Brunei
9 May 2017
Mobile Application, ‘InfoDeptBN’
introduce on the occasion of the 65th Anniversary of the Establishment of the
Department of Information